Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Stop whining, I beg you!

My husband is a wonderful man. He loves me for everything that I am, and rarely sabotages me in my weight loss efforts. He's trying to lose weight too. He loves my nephews, and is fantastic with kids. He understands me, and how I tick. Ask me about vitamin B50. LOL.

But I've gotta say, he's not good about bearing pain. He hurt his back last week (we found out last night that he sprained his shoulder, probably throwing the ball for our dog), and I come home from work and sit there, listening to him sigh. Like an "I want attention" sigh. I try to be more patient and compassionate toward him when he's not feeling well, particularly because my attitude has always been "you're sick, not dead" or "what, did you lose a leg somewhere". I know they sound kind of harsh, even to me. But I think it's worse when a person uses every excuse possible while sick, for not doing anything.

Even when I'm sick, I do something, unless I am so miserable, I'm unable to. Yet the list of excuses he makes up is unbelievable sometimes. I want him to stand up and have a little work ethic. A little bit of pride in what he does for himself and for us. But he lacks confidence badly, and it comes out in so many ways. Nonetheless, I do care when he is sick (unfortunately, as it happens, he doesn't think so, particularly last night). I make him tea, and rub Icy/Hot on his back and shoulder, and heat up his woobie. I try to take care of him, but it doesn't seem to come across to him as caring on my part.

This is going to be something we're going to have to work on for the rest of our lives. I hope at some point, he's able to have more confidence in himself and pride in his work. That's all I'm asking. And now that I'm done venting a little, the positive side of me doing things to care for him is that I'm getting more exercise by going back to the bedroom for him about 10 times a night, especially since it's on the other end of the house.

No comments:

Post a Comment