Friday, April 30, 2010

Gym Membership

Jeff and I were going to join the aquatic center here in our town so we’d have a place to work out, which would have cost $210 for 6 months (a pretty good deal). Only we found out we’re not technically within city limits, so they don’t consider us residents. So instead of the good cost for a resident membership, we would have to pay $205 for only 3 months! It kind of makes me mad because we do pay taxes that go to the roads, and everything else here in our town, but we don’t get the resident discount because we’re a mile and a half outside of town. So we ended up not signing up with them. For the cost, it wasn’t very good.

So instead, we looked around on line, and found 24-hour fitness had a special deal going on right now. We signed up for that, which gives us access to ALL the 24-hour fitness places anywhere. I’m really excited about this, as I haven’t ever had a membership to a gym. I’m going to go tonight after work, and check it out. I’m a little nervous because I always feel really self-conscious surrounded by fit, skinny people, but I know how I am, and that I’ll be able to forget about them after I start it up.

Jeff also was saying last night that he’s going to beat me at our challenge. Which still bothered me because he’s acting like it’s just the challenge, not a lifetime of healthy change. But then, while I was protesting, I realized this is what I want from him. I want him fired up to lose weight and get healthier, and him being a butt about it like he is, motivates me to want to beat him. So, I believe I will. Since it started, I’ve lost 14 pounds, and almost 5%. I figure, we have 4 months left of our challenge. If I really buckle down, I could aim to lose 10 pounds per month (very aggressive) and be down a total of 55 by my birthday. Either way, I’m already a ways ahead of him, and plan to stay that way.

3 comments:

  1. I love 24! I had an unusual schedule and usually ended up at the gym when there were only 5 people in the whole building. I felt better that way. Just tell yourself that everyone is WAY too busy to pay attention to you. Imagine specific things they might be worried about.

    They have a wedgie
    They lost their dog
    Their kid is taking drugs
    They gotta barf

    No matter how Jeff is motivated, it's great that it's got your fire burning. Now go kick his butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you guys for making a challenge. Yes, it might be just a thing in the beginning but hopefully it becomes the norm and the new way of life, right? They say it takes 30 days to make a habit!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by my place & commenting! I'm going to add you to my google reader:)

    ReplyDelete