Monday, May 10, 2010

Mother's day and the weekend

This weekend was so lovely! The temperature was probably in the high 60’s or low 70’s, and on Saturday, I threw on a pair of capris and a cute shirt and felt so springy!

Then Jeff went out and mowed the lawn and I attacked one flowerbed by the house. It’s about 8 feet by 15 feet long, so it’s was quite a task. It’s been looking like a jungle lately, and our poor wildflowers keep trying to peek through, but can’t. So I sprayed some water all over it to soften up the dirt, then went inside to throw together the dough for my cinnamon rolls in the bread machine. Then I went back outside and spent an hour and a half squatting and pulling, and shoveling, until I got all of the weeds out of the bed. Then I loaded the wheelbarrow full of dirt to move to the bed to even it out, unfortunately after it was full, I realized the tire was flat, so pushing it the 10 feet to the flower bed took a huge amount of work. After that load, I was done with it, until I get the tire filled. Then I got 3 groupings of day lilies (or something like that) from my Mom, so I planted those when I got home. I’m really liking how the bed looks!

Then yesterday, I was pretty darn sore. My ab muscles ( I have ab muscles!!!!!) were aching and my thighs and my calves, and my arms slightly. I really am not a fan of gardening, or doing anything to maintain the outside, but my husband and I will likely be moving in October and I figured that I’ve let the place pretty much go over the last 5 ½ years, and I should at least try to make it look a little better when we move out. But I couldn’t believe what a workout it was to do one portion of the flowerbed. And it goes all the way around the house!!! I figure if next weekend is nice, I’m going to do another part and make it look better.

On to the food and exercise portion of the weekend, pretty much all the exercise I got was the gardening on Saturday and chasing my sister around at my Mom’s house yesterday. Eating wise, I didn’t do so hot either. On Saturday night, we had pizza at my sister and brother-in-law’s house, which I haven’t had in quite some time, so I over indulged, and then had too much margarita. Then on Sunday, we got our fast food dinner since we both worked out 5 times last week. We went to Taco Bell, and compared to how I used to do, I did pretty well. I got a meal with a burrito and chips, and only drank about 1 cup of the raspberry iced tea. The difference there is that I used to eat with my eyes, and I’d order too many things because they’re all yummy. Now, I try to remind myself that Taco Bell’s not going out of style. It will still be there tomorrow, or next week, or next month. So I should get a reasonable amount this time, and the next time we go out, I can do the same.

I’m still really struggling with keeping my weekends in check. I didn’t track my points or anything at all this weekend, and I know that I ate more than I normally would. So I’ve decided to put what I eat on my blog daily. It’ll make me more accountable, since I know it’s up in a public place. I will still occasionally eat foods that I shouldn’t or more than I should, but I plan to be completely honest about what I eat. I do have to ask, however, that no one critiques my daily menu. Being honest with myself on my blog is hard enough, without feeling bad because of what I ate because someone tells me I shouldn’t. I am my own food police.

Yesterday was kind of tough for me. I spoke to my Dad when he called and he wished me Happy Mother’s Day then said “Oh, never mind. You’re not a mother”. Which I am fully aware of, and even more so since he brought it up. Then my sister was upset about something that I did not ask her opinion on, and she at one point threw out “You’re not the only Mother who should get to decide these things”. I know that! Yet, I did. And it was done. She’s very pregnant, with probably only a week or so to go, so I think that’s why she was so touchy about it. Either way, it’s hard on Mother’s Day for me, seeing all these other women who get to celebrate that they gave the gift of life to their children, and yet I haven’t been able to do that.

Nonetheless, if you’re a mother, I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s day. I hope you remember what a blessing you have received for each of the children you’ve been given. I hope you never forget how lucky you are to have that gift.

3 comments:

  1. I know what you mean about the flower beds, I am not a yard person myself. I did plant some roses though. I am a stepmother so I guess that counts and I did have a wonderful Mother's day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you for getting outside & gardening this weekend! Yard work really makes you sweat!
    Have you ever tried the "fresco" items on Taco Bell's menu? They have 3 tacos that are actually only 3 points! I haven't personally tried them, but others have told me they're great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember what it was like to yearn for children and it not happen. Be patient. It will come. Enjoy this time with your husband. Do things now that would be hard to do with a baby in tow. You will look back on this time with fond memories. And when the time is right, the babies will happen.

    ReplyDelete